Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Inside the Mind of a Self-Doubting Writer


  1. Wow. What a great idea! I can't wait to start on this story. But, wait. How can I make it original without making it suck?
  2. I know! I'll write a cast of diverse characters, no cookie cutter stereotypes. Plus, my voice and style of writing would lend to the story's uniqueness.
  3. Wow, I impressed myself. Gotta tell my honey how many words I wrote today and update my Twitter and Facebook pages with the news.
  4. Gosh, I'm tearing through this story. I've written so many chapters and even added a few good twists. This is gonna be brilliant! Progress is going great! I can't wait to share this story with the world. People are gonna love this.
  5. But what if they don't? What if they don't like the direction I took the main character? Gosh, maybe I should go back and further clarify why the character made that decision.
  6. While I'm rewriting the scene where the main character makes an important decision, I might as well reread the entire thing to make sure the story's unfolding the way I envisioned.
  7. Okay, now I'll continue writing where I left off … but later this evening, after I make dinner and put the kids to sleep.
  8. The kids are fed, full and asleep but I woke up pretty early today. I'll go to sleep now so I can get up early and write more of the story tomorrow before work.
  9. I got about an hour before I get the kids off to school this morning. Might as well check my emails and see what I missed on Facebook and Twitter before I start on the story.
  10. Darn! Where did the time go? I'll finish writing the chapter of my story by tonight, no excuses.
  11. Well, now it's a little late but I have the time to look over the last few chapters I wrote to remember where I left off.
  12. Ugh! I wrote that?! I must've been tired or something. This is not going the way I thought it would. It's nothing but chapters and chapters of crap. No one's gonna want to read this mess! Why am I wasting my time? The characters are obviously stereotypes and my voice and style seem too sophomoric.
  13. Ooh. I got another cool idea. But this idea will be great as a different book with different characters.
  14. Now how can I put my twist on it and make it truly my own? Well, before I get into this new story maybe I should finish writing the other story first.
  15. *opens story and stare blankly at the screen*
  16. I'll start the new story now and work on the other story tomorrow. *closes story and opens blank document*
  17. But what if no one likes the premise of the new story? The characters seem kind of blah, the setting is overused … this will never work.
  18. Oh, wait! Honey read over the few chapters of my other story and liked it. Maybe I should put all my attention into that story again. But Honey isn't familiar with book publishing or the market. What if Honey was just being nice and the story really sucks?
  19. I'll have one of my author friends look over it and give me their feedback. They understand the book world and will be honest with me.
  20. They liked it and even gave me some useful feedback on how to make it even better. I can't wait to start working on this story again. This is brilliant! People are gonna love it!

2 comments: