Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Before the Darkness Progress




Currently, I am at 12,500 words in my latest WIP, Before the Darkness. The way the story is going I expect to finish it somewhere around 20k-30k words, although it can be longer. I can't seem to find the time to work on it as much as I want to. I hope this weekend I can write a big chunk of it because I want to finish it before the end of the year.


The elevator pitch:

After an asteroid strikes Earth, sending a wall of ash and other debris into the atmosphere, Elliot meets fellow survivor Adam and together they take advantage of the next few hours, learning to appreciate their second chance at life and live it to the fullest.

The problem:

The research.  Asteroids are tricky to write about, especially an asteroid impact with Earth. Even though the story focuses more on the inner conflict of the main characters, the impact is what sets the story in motion and contributes to the story's tension, adding suspense, raising the stakes and providing exterior conflict. Therefore, it's very important that the impact and the effects of impact are realistic.


I hope to finish the first draft before the end of the year. Hell, some writers can do it in thirty days. That would be nice!

No comments:

Post a Comment