Friday, September 16, 2011

Before the Darkness Progress

I am officially at 21,233 words written in my upcoming MM, post-apocalyptic erotic romance story, Before the Darkness. This story revolves around two survivors of an asteroid impact who are forced to confront their pasts in order to appreciate their second chance at life and possibly make for a better future.

Currently, I'm at a critical point in the story, (or the most critical) the climax. Which is good! That means I'm almost to the end.


The problem?

Well, I'm not quite sure where I want this story to end. The initial ending I had planned for it might end at 30k words. However, another possible ending wouldn't be met until about 50k words.

If I go with the initial ending, readers might want an extension. Which will result in a series that I'm not sure I'm ready to commit to. There's other stories I want to complete too.

If I go with the other ending, it may take longer than I want it to, it would require tons to rewrite and edit, and I'm not sure I'm ready for that either. Not to mention the climax I'm about to write will probably be just one of the big incidences that move the story forward to the "real" climax.

When I outlined and started writing Before the Darkness, I had it all set in my head; the beginning, middle and end. Now, the story's kinda taking on a life of its own (including the characters) and I'm a bit afraid of where it might lead me.

I'm not good with unpredictable. I like to have a plan and stick to it. Anyway, we shall see where this takes me. Who knows, maybe it will turn out to be better than I imagined if I just tell the story that wants to be told, instead of limiting the story by keeping it confined to my outline.

Leslie Lee Sanders

No comments:

Post a Comment